Alembique Apothecary, a unique makers apothecary, is located in west Berkeley, California.
Alembique is your trusted source for natural products and ingredients we need to live wisely and well. Our mission is to promote the products, crafts and tools that help us live healthy, natural and sustainable lives on this fragile planet.
We purvey predominantly non-GMO, organic, local, wild-crafted/wild-harvested, food-grade, pesticide-and-petrochemical-free products whenever possible, including natural botanical, herbal and mineral ingredients and products that help us maintain the health and beauty of our skin, hair and body.
We specialize in organic teas, spices, extracts, bitters and plant oils to help make magic in your kitchen and bar.
We feature and create 100% plant-based skin and hair care products without petrochemicals and preservatives that are unsurpassed in quality, gentleness and effectiveness.
Ultimately, we strive to offer products and ingredients only what we ourselves would want as ingredients and products for ourselves, our loved ones and the planet.
All of Alembique’s products and natural ingredients are selected with care to rank highly in health, safety and environmental impact ratings on reliable databases including The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics, EWG Skin Deep Cosmetics, CIR, and Paula’s Choice.
Most important, Alembique offers weekly classes that will delight your senses as they empower you to make your own hand-crafted products in place of toxic, chemically processed and often over-priced stuff consuming the world!
We also are urban rooftop bee-keepers and offer some of the most delicious, sustainable, cold-extracted seasonal honey (beeswax, propolis and pollen) in the Bay area.
Alembique has been variously described as:
- a nineteenth century apothecary in a twenty-first century world
- an aromatic sanctuary of calm and color, conversation and laughter
- a friendly source of honest, sage advice, amity and inspiration
- a treasure-house of amazing, unique and all-natural artisanal products.
- a time machine that appears only to swiftly vanish again
- Berkeley’s living-room where magic water is served.
- a place of remembrance, connection and transformation
- Positively haunted with loving spirits…
We hope you will too will visit us at Alembique.
Alembique Apothecary offers:
- An Organic Health Store | The store, housed in a historic 1870s building in West Berkeley, features hundreds of organic and pesticide-free raw ingredients, herbs and high-quality petrochemical-free products for your body, kitchen and home.
- Fresh Greens and Medicinal Plants | We offer hand-picked fresh produce and medicinal herbs directly form local Bay area farms. Pre-order, we will harvest what you need and then you pick up your harvest the next day–that is even fresher than the farmer’s market!
- Refill Station | BYOB & Refill your natural personal and household products to save money and the planet from oceans of toxic and plastic waste.
- Organic Blending Bar | Blend from our menu of recipes or from your own selection of organic ingredients and create your own custom freshly-made all natural body care, teas and delicious seasonings using wonderful, beloved recipes. This is the definition of “bespoke”.
- Community Workshops | Attend workshops on the science and craft of using natural ingredients for our the health and pleasure. Learn to make your own organic personal products with zero petrochemicals using fabulous ingredients, recipes and formulations. To date, we have conducted over 100 classes that are fun, empowering and instructive in ways that may surprise you, your loved ones and family.
Alembique Apothecary | 901 Hearst Avenue, Berkeley, CA 94710 | Phone (510) 255-0901 | info AT alembique.com